- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) programme
1.1. Admission Requirements:
Admissions into the degree programme in the Department in by entrance examination conducted through JAMB. All candidates must satisfy the minimum entry requirements; ie five credits in senior secondary school examination/General Certificate of Education or its equivalent including English language, Mathematics, a science subject and two social sciences subject.
(c) Direct Entry by Diploma– Holders of the 2–year Undergraduate Diploma from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka or any other approved Universities are admitted to pursue a 3-year Programme for the award of B.Sc Degree in Social Work and Community Development.
(d) Programmes/Sub-Discipline/Discipline structure to include period of formal studies in the Universities, industrial training, planned visits and projects.
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) Programme
- Admission Requirements
The criteria for admission into the postgraduate-diploma programme are as follows.
- Candidate must satisfy the matriculation requirements of the University, including English Language.
- A minimum of third-class (Hons.) Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or a related discipline awarded by an approved and accredited university.
- Higher National Diploma (HND) at the lower Credit level or equivalent professional qualifications cognate to Social Work from a recognized institution.
- Degree holders from other disciplines from recognised universities
3 Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programme
The Department offers Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree programmes in Social Work.
3.1. Admission Requirements
The criteria for admission into the M.Sc. programmes are as follows:
- Candidates must satisfy matriculation requirement of the University including mathematics and English language.
- Candidate must have a minimum of second class (lower division) Bachelor’s degree in social work from an approved university, or a postgraduate diploma with a CGPA of not lower than 3.5 on a 5-point scale, or its equivalent, from an accredited university.
- Candidates with a PGD at credit level pass (i.e. 3.5 on a 5point scale) or 60% on weighted percentage average.
- Doctor of Philosophy Programme
The Department offers Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree programmes in Social Work.
4.1 Admission Requirements
The criteria for admission into the Ph.D. programme are as follows.
- Candidate must satisfy the matriculation requirements of the University, including English Language and Mathematics.
- Candidate must have a minimum of Master’s degree in social Work, depending of the specialization the candidate aspires to, from an approved university, with a CGPA of not lower than 3.5 on a 5-point scale, or equivalent, from an accredited university.
- Candidate must demonstrate adequate intellectual capacity, maturity and effective decision making and problem-solving potentials.
- Candidate must write a concept proposal of not less than five A-4 pages in his/her area of specialization.
- For Candidate to be eligible for Ph.D. admission, he or she must have scored nothing less than a ‘B’ in his/her dissertation.